Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vet Update

I talked with the vet Tuesday about Buttercup's blood work results. He said the tests showed she had an extremely elevated white blood cell count, indicative of a bad infection. Unfortunately the test they did didn't show where the infection is, but he seemed to think that she would be okay continuing with the meds he already gave me for her. She hasn't thrown up since, although her tummy is still making those weird noises.

I dropped Grace off at the vet this morning for her surgery. Before they do anything I agreed for them to run some tests on her, including testing for feline leukemia and feline AIDS. I thought I had her checked when J first brought her home, but I couldn't remember for sure. Well, I just got a call from the vet and they said she tested positive for feline AIDS. The lady said having over a year and a half of exposure to her, I might want to get the other kitties tested again as well, starting of course with Buttercup. She informed me that some kitties with feline AIDS can live long healthy lives and not really have any problems. I already knew, but she told me that it can't be passed to humans or dogs. She said the main thing is to just keep a close eye for any signs of illness, because the immune system will be weak and it could take longer to recover. Other than that she said there's really not much that can be done to treat it. She said there's vaccines, but that they don't seem to help and they have side effects that could be bad...she said they dislike the vaccines so much, they even refuse to offer them.

I feel so empty right now, completely shocked. Here I was worrying myself sick about Buttercup, and it turns out Grace is the one sick. Of course she could have passed it to Buttercup and that could be why she's been so sick. Who knows. I just want to hold and cuddle Grace so badly right now, but I can't pick her up until Saturday. I'm going to have them test Buttercup when I go back to pick Grace up. To me, it seems a little silly to waste the money testing them all when there's really nothing that could be done, however I do want to have Buttercup tested...that way I'll know what we're up against in fighting her illness.

I had a hug, to be held, something....I just feel like crying. I know it's silly because there's really nothing that can be done, and the way she was talking, there doesn't really seem to be an issue with Grace because she's pretty healthy, happy, active kitty. I almost wish I didn't know. I know that's stupid, but I truly believe sometimes that ignorance is bliss...especially when there's nothing that can be done. I don't know, I'm just rambling now. I'm going to go. Please keep my kitties in your thoughts...Princess Buttercup Fluffybutt, Jakob Sebastian, Sweet Pea, Kimber Le Mew, and Grace Oreo Monte Cristo.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?