Links
Archives
- June 2005
- July 2005
- August 2005
- September 2005
- October 2005
- November 2005
- January 2006
- May 2006
- July 2006
- August 2006
- September 2006
- October 2006
- January 2007
- May 2007
- June 2007
- July 2007
- August 2007
- September 2007
- October 2007
- November 2007
- December 2007
- January 2008
- February 2008
- March 2008
- April 2008
- May 2008
- June 2008
- September 2008
- November 2008
- December 2008
- August 2009
- September 2009
- October 2009
- November 2009
- December 2009
- January 2010
- February 2010
- March 2010
- April 2010
- May 2010
- June 2010
- July 2010
- March 2011
- April 2011
- May 2011
- December 2012
- July 2015
- August 2015
- September 2015
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- March 2016
- May 2016
- September 2018
- June 2022
Thursday, September 15, 2005
Did I misplace something???
Ever get the feeling you've lost something, or perhaps it was just taken from you!?! For anybody that doesn't know, I lost my job today. Actually, I didn't lose it, I know exactly where it is, but it's gone just the same. Today was the last day of my 6 month short term disability at work, and since I'm not well enough to return to work, I've been terminated. Also, I'm still waiting to hear from long term disability about whether I've been approved or denied. Seems they're waiting on information from my doc in St. Louis. Hope to hear something soon.
A lot of people I've talked with all agree that it's seems like work gave me a raw deal and that I should talk with a lawyer to see if I have a leg to stand on. A lawyer (one of those friend of a friend things) was asked hypothetically about my situation and he said that he couldn't give me any advice, but that it didn't sound right to him, that I should talk with a lawyer. And you know, that thought has crossed my mind a few times, but J made a good point. Actually he made a few good points. Do I really want to try to take on a big company with all their lawyers? And what if they agreed that they messed up and gave me my job back, they would just find a way to get rid of me right away anyways. J thinks they just did whatever they could to get me out. And I have to admit, I agree.
I was always a damn good employee, and along with Nancy, we got amazing numbers on our machine when no one else could, we made them money, but I'm a stubborn person. I stand up and fight for whatever I feel is right. And there were a few times when I'm sure my voice was heard by the powers that be, the suits, the office people, and perhaps that was my downfall. But any company that tries to pride themselves on being such a family oriented business, but then tries to split up some couples that work for them, I'm sorry, I'm going to call it like I see it. If it looks like shit and smells like shit, I'm going to call it shit.
I feel that it was wrong of them to split J and I up. (Especially when other couples, who did have a problem with playing favorites or causing problems on the floor with family fights) didn't get split up. There was never a question of favortism, he treated me worse than anyone else in the section, just to be sure no one could say anything about it. And I tried to not be in his section or on his machine, because I hated having him as my pressman. But the almighty powers that be, always managed to keep putting us together on the same machine. Because he's the best pressman and he could make that machine run better than any other pressman, and that made them lots of money. But he couldn't do it without operators willing and able to work their asses off and run themselves ragged all night long just to make the numbers look better than anyone else could do. So who did that leave? The best lid operators they had, Nancy and myself.
Perhaps I am just bitter, but you know what, who cares!?! Screw them, I worked myself half to death for them for 3 years, working so many weekends, staying over, coming in early, pulling 12 hour shifts, pulling doubles (16 hours)!!!!!! And for what?? "Oh, you're hurt and can't come back to work right now when we say?? Sorry about your luck, you're employment with us has been terminated. Best of luck in all your endeavors." Fuck that! Three years seniority, two weeks vacation time, almost $14.00 an hour, gone. And to think I used to love my job, couldn't wait to get there everyday. Thrived on working as hard and fast as I could to get them their precious numbers, making them so much money. Even after the pain started, I still looked forward to my job. Nancy and I became even closer in our partnership on that machine, we were a team, we worked better together than anyone else. We put all other shifts to shame, and that was sad because we were both becoming handicapped. She could barely see and I could barely lift the boxes, but that didn't stop us. I became her eyes and she became my back. To think back on how much we cared, how much we pushed ourselves to do more, and for them to just shoo us out the door. I'm sorry, but I just must say it again, fuck that!!!
A lot of people I've talked with all agree that it's seems like work gave me a raw deal and that I should talk with a lawyer to see if I have a leg to stand on. A lawyer (one of those friend of a friend things) was asked hypothetically about my situation and he said that he couldn't give me any advice, but that it didn't sound right to him, that I should talk with a lawyer. And you know, that thought has crossed my mind a few times, but J made a good point. Actually he made a few good points. Do I really want to try to take on a big company with all their lawyers? And what if they agreed that they messed up and gave me my job back, they would just find a way to get rid of me right away anyways. J thinks they just did whatever they could to get me out. And I have to admit, I agree.
I was always a damn good employee, and along with Nancy, we got amazing numbers on our machine when no one else could, we made them money, but I'm a stubborn person. I stand up and fight for whatever I feel is right. And there were a few times when I'm sure my voice was heard by the powers that be, the suits, the office people, and perhaps that was my downfall. But any company that tries to pride themselves on being such a family oriented business, but then tries to split up some couples that work for them, I'm sorry, I'm going to call it like I see it. If it looks like shit and smells like shit, I'm going to call it shit.
I feel that it was wrong of them to split J and I up. (Especially when other couples, who did have a problem with playing favorites or causing problems on the floor with family fights) didn't get split up. There was never a question of favortism, he treated me worse than anyone else in the section, just to be sure no one could say anything about it. And I tried to not be in his section or on his machine, because I hated having him as my pressman. But the almighty powers that be, always managed to keep putting us together on the same machine. Because he's the best pressman and he could make that machine run better than any other pressman, and that made them lots of money. But he couldn't do it without operators willing and able to work their asses off and run themselves ragged all night long just to make the numbers look better than anyone else could do. So who did that leave? The best lid operators they had, Nancy and myself.
Perhaps I am just bitter, but you know what, who cares!?! Screw them, I worked myself half to death for them for 3 years, working so many weekends, staying over, coming in early, pulling 12 hour shifts, pulling doubles (16 hours)!!!!!! And for what?? "Oh, you're hurt and can't come back to work right now when we say?? Sorry about your luck, you're employment with us has been terminated. Best of luck in all your endeavors." Fuck that! Three years seniority, two weeks vacation time, almost $14.00 an hour, gone. And to think I used to love my job, couldn't wait to get there everyday. Thrived on working as hard and fast as I could to get them their precious numbers, making them so much money. Even after the pain started, I still looked forward to my job. Nancy and I became even closer in our partnership on that machine, we were a team, we worked better together than anyone else. We put all other shifts to shame, and that was sad because we were both becoming handicapped. She could barely see and I could barely lift the boxes, but that didn't stop us. I became her eyes and she became my back. To think back on how much we cared, how much we pushed ourselves to do more, and for them to just shoo us out the door. I'm sorry, but I just must say it again, fuck that!!!